How do we sum up 2021?
Well as I recorded this episode I am quarantined with my husband and daughter in Jupiter, Fl – things did not quite turn out like we thought this week – just like 2021.
In survival mode, raw and a little shaken and stirred.
All ready to move forward – then sideways, then backward, we had blinders on (at least some of), then we had our head in the sand (or some of us), then we wanted to rip our masks off (most of us), we wanted to travel (I think all of us), to hug, and then we all seemed to suffer burnout and fatigue.
Here’s a recap of the most popular Social PR Secrets in 2021 according to analytics and the ones YOU liked the best and then I added a few of my favorites to prepare you for 2022.
Megan Foster: How to Pitch E-Commerce Editors
Tips on Pitching to a Publication
Megan Foster says you can pitch to any type of writer or editor, no matter how influential. She used to receive over 200 pitches a day. How do you make your pitch stand out? Here are Megan’s top tips.
#1. Your subject line needs to be on point
The header of your pitch email should grab the editor or writer’s attention. Words like best, new, trendy hold no meaning. Instead, be specific or use numbers.
#2. Use images
Images of the product will tell the editor what you’re about right away. It also gives them a better understanding of their audience’s reaction to ie, explains Megan.
#3. The 20-second rule
All the important information in your pitch needs to be at the top.
#4. Include some details
If an editor picks your product, they’ll appreciate having details already researched for them.
#5. If you are going to personalize the pitch, get the name right
Yes, really. Don’t forget to remove [Insert Editor’s Name Here].
#6. Get to know the person you’re pitching to
It’s essential to tell the writer you have read their articles. But don’t pitch something they’ve already written about!
These are all crucial tips, and this episode contains way more. You don’t want to miss it from pitching CBD products to upcoming social media trends and Megan’s take on influencer culture!
“When you’re pitching editors, make sure there’s a story component.” – Megan Foster. i.e.
Modern PR Myths, Musts, and Mantras
Digital PR vs. Digital Advertising
While almost all companies are willing to splurge on advertising, few understand that digital PR is another central element of a successful business. However, for digital PR to work, brands need more than money. They need to understand the process takes time; they should communicate and cooperate with their agency and keep their expectations realistic.
Once you’ve understood that, digital PR will surprise you in more ways than one. Unlike advertising, PR positively affects every part of the funnel. And unlike advertising, PR offers sustained rewards over time. In short, PR gives brands what they can’t buy in ads. This includes:
✅ Thought leadership
✅ Third-party endorsements
✅ Low budget/no budget is needed.
Top 3 PR Myths, Busted
Myth #1. PR is only measured in numbers
Myth #2. Only big companies do social listening
Myth #3. The best PR pros live in LA and New York
Brands should keep in mind they’re looking for talent, not location. The best professionals can now be found all over the country – and the world!
Want to know what other myths are the most common? Listen to the episode to find out!
Some topics discussed in this episode include:
- Digital PR
- Pitching journalists
- PR strategy
- Intelligence tools
“Publicity is absolutely critical. A good PR story is infinitely more effective than a front-page ad.” – Richard Branson, British business magnate and founder of the Virgin Group.
“If I only had two dollars left, I would spend one dollar on PR.” — Bill Gates, founder of Microsoft.
Lisa Buyer on Life Lessons, Transitions and Resets
Some Topics Discussed In This 2021 Episode Include:
- Replace Survival Mode with a Digital Detox
- Entrepreneurial Burnout Relief
- Life Lessons
- Highlights and Lowlights of Business and Personal Life
- Mental Health Awareness
- Red Flags for Business Owners to Consider
- Cutting Ties with the Negative
- The Key To Happiness: Authentic Self-Expression
- Connect with Lisa Buyer:
Jeanne Jennings: Email Should Be Part of Your Strategy
“Email is dead.” Or, “Email is making a comeback.” Whatever your opinion, email has always been a crucial part of any PR and marketing strategy. Learn all about using email for your business, agency, or clients from Email Optimization Shop’s Jeanne Jennings.
Mandy McEwen’s LinkedIn PR Secrets For Brands of Any Size
Did the LinkedIn bubble burst? Not a chance. Mandy McEwen is the secret weapon for mastering the LinkedIn algorithm, optimizing your area of specialization, and maximizing exposure, engagement, and content strategy.
Bruce Clay on Hiring SEO Specialists, Link Mentions, and How You Attribute to Google’s Success
Some Topics Discussed in this episode include:
- The Father of SEO
- SEO (Search Engine Optimization) Experts
- Bruce Clay SEO Training Classes
- How Press Releases Work
- Authoritative Links
- Organic/Blue Links
- No-Follow Links
- Google Search Engine
- Pay Per Click
- Google Ads
10 PR Secrets to Boost Exposure, Energy, Sleep and Save Time by Lisa Buyer
Lisa’s Favorite Things on the Metaverse:
- AI for designers. Improve low-quality images with one click using AI. Let’s Enhance or Remove backgrounds and photobombs from any image or Turn any image into a website.
- Repurpose Secret Tool. Turn your podcast into an EBook or Newsletter.
- Adweek’s #Metaverse Marketing podcast dropped hosted by Cathy Hackl! She dives into Metaverse tips brands need to know when it comes to advertising, marketing, and also public relations.
- A Brand’s Guide to the Metaverse by Alan Smithson
Public Relations Secret #2: Digital Detox Secrets for Energy and Women.
- Reported in 2020 Stress in AmericaTM surveys since April, “84% of adults reported feeling at least one emotion associated with prolonged stress in the prior two weeks.
- Start your day with the best possible brain from mind, body, and spirit!
- Improve life force energy and relieve stress. I was honored to meet Lee Holden last week and took two Qi Gong classes taught by him. Subscribe to his YouTube channel.
- New Book: Crushing My Beast – Sober since February 12, 2021, and more than 18,000 followers on LinkedIn, Founder of Sober Stitch Chris Moran publishes ‘Crushing My Beast.’ to Follow him and watch how he used LinkedIn to spread sobriety.
Kassie Meiler on Pubcon Florida 2021, Brilliant Marketing Tips, E-A-Ts and Vibes
- Expertise Authority Trust (EAT)
- Neuroscience Marketing and Ad Copy
- Liking and Unity Principle
- How PR and Ad Budget Has Changed During COVID-19
- The Chain of Communication
- Utilizing Influencers During a Crisis
- Keywords and Hashtags for Organic Exposure
- Subscribing to Google Alerts
- The iOS14 Update and Facebook Marketing
- Social Proof and Testimonials
- The Ultimate Brief Template
Former Facebook Employee, Adam Risbridger, Reveals How to Beat the Ads Algorithm
Some topics Adam discusses in this episode include:
- Facebook ads
- Facebook pixel
- Video ads
- Website optimization
The Art of Persuasion, the Offer and the Experience With Brandon Smits
In this episode, Brandon talks about:
- Develop Content that Creates Emotion
- Organic / Paid Search
- Social Media as an Organic Approach
- The Art of Persuasion
- Marketing Sauce
- Understanding Whether Your Content is Working
- Data v. Gut Piece
- Automation and SMS Marketing
- Tips on Generating Conversions
- Brandon’s Business Model
- Creating the Best B2B & Agency Experience
- Advice on Bottlenecks
- Marketing Accessibility Interface Platform
- What’s Working with Paid Seach
- Nurturing the Sales Process
- Timing is Everything
Bonus 2021 Faves
Cathy Hackl Live From NFT BZL
In this episode, Cathy and Lisa talk about
- The first Metaverse agency of record- Cathy Hackl closed the deal – learn what that means
- Creating a Metaverse strategy and what this looks like today!
- The PR Metaverse – what brands and PR pros need to know and grow
- Decentralization and what that means as why it’s important
- Women and NFTs, the opportunities, and why now is the time
- Steps to take now even if you know nothing
- How purchasing an NFT is just the beginning – what does Cathy Hackl think?
Female Disruptors Virtual Summit Announces Speakers, NFTs, and Early Registration Perks
Unlike physical conferences where you can end up sitting through the content you just don’t need, Female Disruptors Virtual Summit is delivered entirely online. Dip in and watch the specific talks you need to transform your business or catch them all. It’s up to you!
Our experts will be sharing their years of knowledge, strategies, and tactics. If you’re focused on launching or growing your business, we’ve got you covered.
Female Disruptors Featured Keynotes
Rhonda Britten – Emmy Award-winner, repeat Oprah guest, TedX speaker – Rhonda has devoted her life to one thing: to teach you how to master fear.
Katie Wells – Bestselling Author of The Wellness Mama Cookbook. Host of the award-winning Wellness Mama Podcast Named by greatist.com as one of the 100 most influential people in health and wellness along with Dr. Oz, Dr. Mercola, Food Babe, and Tim Ferriss
Cathy Hackl – As seen on 60 Minutes, Time, Vogue, Bloomberg, and More. Chief Metaverse Officer/Strategist | Dean of Republic Realm Academy |Thinkers50 Radar|Linkedin Top Voice| Keynote Speaker| NFTs Virtual Worlds & Fashion AR VR Holograms| Media Personality |
Ai Addyson – Education disruptor and founder of the Disruptor’s Planner.
Whitney Freya – Inspired Living Expert, Artist, Author. She helps businesswomen discover their Magic.
We call all genders and ages looking to give, share, coach, inspire and cultivate. We want to pay it forward and tap into women’s wisdom regardless of age, status, race, and gender.
“I want to help generations cross over and learn from each other.” -Lisa Buyer
Pascale Dube’s Communication Secrets to Coach Parents with Teens
Some topics in this episode include:
- Pascale’s Journey to Communications Coaching
- Growing Up at an Early Age
- Working For a Narcissist
- Shifting From Corporate Coaching to Family Coaching
- Being a Teenager in this Digital Age
- Social Media Has Caused a Disconnect
- Human History is a Pendulum
- Targeting an Untapped Niche
- How to Be Authentic on Social Media
- Takeaways From JVology: A Community of Networking Professionals
- Creating a Facebook Page
- Hosting Facebook Lives
- Writing a Supplemental Book For Your Business
- Communications Coaching Services
- Pascale’s Event Services
Mike Toner with a PR Forecast: Web 3.0 is in the Air!
In this episode, Mike Toner talks about
- How he left his PR 2.0 life at Business Week after ten years and took a leap of faith out of the corporate world and to the startup world and Web 3.0
- Search and Social
- Digital Marketing
- Buying and selling NFTs
- Blockchain technology
- Building a community and incentivizing the community through rewards
- Bored Apes
- Adidas and Nike NFT collaborations
- Farfetch platform solutions: Virtual Try-on campaign
- Alt Space VR
- Immersive shopping experiences
- Tips on Discord: getting started
- User experience on Web 3
Well, that’s a wrap to the most popular podcast episodes and my faves in 2021. What will 2022 bring? Indeed the metaverse continues to develop, and so should your brand’s metaverse strategy. I hope for less burnout and more opportunities to connect us with joy. You can be sure I am voting for equal pay, reversing ageism, being a change agent, and tapping into positive energy and the wealth of health and happiness.